Sunday, November 9, 2008

Dimpling the VS

Let the primer cure over the night and dimpled all the holes in the VS skin and skeleton. Tried it in the jig, just to see if everything fit. I have to wait for the controller person to sign it off before closing the structure with rivets.

Started on the rudder main spar and the reinforcement plates. The reinforcement plates are pre-made from Van's. When trying to position them, something was wrong with the R-406. The main hole was offset 3/16 compared to the hinges, so the whole plate would be pushed 3/16 down. This would make the rivet holes on the edge of the spar, and a bit outside. I thought I had measured wrong, but when looking at the R-406 and compared it with the drawings, I saw that the R-406 was made wrong. The hole for the hinge is 3/16 further up than it is supposed to be. I think I will make a new R-406 myself from another sheet with the same thickness and get Van's to send me a new sheet, so I don't have to wait for shipping.




No comments: