Thursday, April 1, 2010

HS finished

So, there it is, the new HS. Have to trim the tips to correct span and probably adjust the overhang slightly. The "thread check" on the hinge brackets now shows a straight line, so the elevator will work this time.

I actually have 6 (six!) ruined HS skins in storage now :-) The two first where wrong due to HS-406 ribs is not made by Van's according to the plans, I found that out the hard way, and Van's sent me new skins free of charge. The next two were bent wrong by Van's, I found that out the easy way by measuring them, and again Van's sent me new ones free of charge. But due to the jig bending, the hinge brackets were out of line. The last two I purchased along with new ribs and spars. They were bent correct within my measuring accuracy.

Someone at EAA said something like "It is never skill or workmanship that finishes an airplane, it is the will to do so". He was absolutely correct. I know that at this time both my skills and workmanship are more than good enough to finish this airplane, but all the problems with the HS has degraded my will to finish it for long periods of time. I have to remember this - always, and keep on building.



No comments: