Monday, March 25, 2013

Toy or tool?

I have used old fashion paper maps earlier, and for flight planning I have used paper maps, Excel, protractor etc. Time to enter the new age, so I got a Nexus 7 (Android pad) and PocketFMS. PocketFMS is nice because it works on a PC, and any other device you may have (Android, Apple or the old Windows Mobile), and it works all places at once with one single license. I can use may PC for planning, and save the flight plans in the "sky". When I fly, I only need my Nexus, and download a previously saved flight plan, appending real time weather etc and so on. I can also use the Nexus for point and drag planning, but it is faster and more practical with a PC. For Norway ICAO maps can be used as background maps together with elevation maps (3D view).

PocketFMS also works seamlessly with MGL Avionics EFIS (Enigma, Odyssey and so on), meaning a map license on PocketFMS also works on MGL EFIS (same maps, same flight plans etc). It seemingly work with Dynon and AFS.

I got this only a couple of days ago, so I don't know how well it works for real flying (will the batteries last etc). Impressive software this PocketFMS even though it is a bit rough around the edges.

No comments: