Sunday, May 26, 2013

IKEA work table

Along one wall of the new shop I will have a table. A purchased 2 kitchen table tops from IKEA. They can be made in several materials and colors. Mine are made of wood composite, covered with a film of a plastic of some sort in white with gray/black dots. The dimensions are 610*1860*35 mm. Probably not necessary, but I have seen wood composite sag over time if they are loaded, so I made a frame underneath. The frame was made of 38*68 mm laminated spruce bought at the local "Byggmax". Because it is laminated, I think it will not bend and warp like unlaminated wood often do. For the legs I used adjustable steel legs, also from Byggmax. The whole thing was cheap and very quick to set up, and very durable. Underneath the tables I will have some shelves or closets, but I haven't gotten to that just yet. (I originally planned some shelves and closets with the top mounted directly on top, but with the current config, I am free to move things around).

It will also work as a stand alone table, but the legs will need to have some diagonal braces in that case. I have two other tables for that.



 

No comments: