Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Primers

Got some wash primer from Monopol (Wash Primer WG 6650) from a local car body shop. I allso got a rattle can of "houshold" metal primer (Quick Universalgrunning from Scanox) which is an alkyd based primer with corrosion inhibitors (supposedly).

The wash primer is green and the other one is gray. SB means Scotch Brite has been used on that area. It is possible (but hard) to scratch both off with my nail on the area not scuffed with scotch brite. The area scuffed with scotch brite is much harder to scratch off. I have to use a knife or a sharp object and I take off just as much aluminum as I take off primer, so it is very tough. The "houshould" primer seem to be just as hard as the wash primer. Zinc oxide and some orthophosphate?? seems to be the active anticorrosive ingredients in both.

One major difference is that the wash primer has a smoother and more shiny surface, and the coating is thinner (the last thing could be me sprying).


No comments: